SANDVIK'S QUARRY ACADEMY
We have developed Quarry Academy® in conjunction with our partners and leading industry experts. This enables us to bring together some of the leading figures in the quarrying industry in order to share the very latest thinking through a series of talks, seminars, site visits and workshops. The result is that the Quarry Academy® program is purpose designed for the needs of the industry, with quarry managers, executives, supervisors and owner/operators all benefitting.
Its three day unique program ensures that Quarry Academy® addresses critical processes within the quarry, but also focuses on the relationship between each process. The purpose developed program looks at how each process systematically interacts with one another, and how they can be linked to improve overall operational improvement. The end result is that the focus of Quarry Academy® is summed up by its theme:
Improving processes. Instilling expertise.
QUARRY ACADEMY® 2016 15TH - 17TH OF NOVEMBER
Our latest Quarry Academy® was our 11th in North America. It was held in San Antonio, Texas, with a program providing insight into the very latest thinking in quarrying. This year's Quarry Academy® was conducted by industry experts from Sandvik, Dyno Nobel, Volvo CE, South West Research Institute and Friedman Leak. Topics covered during the program consisted of:
- Quarry and Mine Planning
- Best in the Blast: Fragmentation Management
- Mobile Crushing and Screening
- Getting Control for Optimal Plant Performance: Advanced Crushing
- "Making The Right Stuff": Screening and Sizing
- Crushing and Screening Do's and Don'ts
In addition to the formal lecture program other features this year included:
- Wheel / Load Simulator – A state-of-the-art Simulator was used to illustrate operation technique development and response to actual field conditions.
- Drill Simulator – Demonstration using state-of-the-art drill simulator for instruction of operation techniques and response to actual field conditions.
- Site Visit - The visit allowed the attendees to see how theory translates into practice when it comes to improving processes. This year it was held at Martin Marietta's Medina Rock and Rail quarry.
KEY NOTE SPEAKER: MIKE MULLANE
A tradition of Quarry Academy® is for the Key Note Address to be given by an inspirational speaker. This year was no different, with astronaut Mike Mullane giving the address. Mike was selected as a Mission Specialist in 1978 in the first group of Space Shuttle Astronauts. He completed three space missions aboard the Shuttles Discovery (STS-41D) and Atlantis (STS-27 & 36). His talk proved to be inspirational and of great interest to the audience.
FOCUSED ON OUR CUSTOMERS' NEEDS
Quarry Academy® is one more customer focused solution Sandvik Mining and Rock Technology has developed to help our customers. By providing expert advice we are able to show the industry how we are able to go that little bit further in supplying equipment and services that customers need, and truly benefit from.
In order to find out more concerning Quarry Academy® please visit the dedicated website at:
Quarry Academy® - Improving processes. Instilling expertise.